The Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund accepting applications for 2018
Date published: 09/11/2017
Grants: £20,000 - £120,000
Deadline: 28 February 2018
Museums and galleries in the UK can apply now for funding in 2018 to support high quality projects which use their collections for a social purpose.
Run by the Museums Association, the Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund focuses on time-limited work on collections which has clear social benefit, outside the scope of an organisation’s core resources.
Over a three year period, the Fund is awarding £3.5 million to collections projects that show the inspiring and engaging potential of collections to deliver social impact for people and communities, innovating for the sector or at least for their organisation.
Museums and galleries of all types and sizes in the UK can apply for grants of between £20,000 and £120,000 for projects lasting up to three years. Applicants must be able to start their project within six months of the grant being awarded.
The Fund is looking for high quality projects that:
- Work with an existing collection or collections to improve understanding of them and increase their use, and
- Through that collections work, involve, inspire and have impact on people, communities and audiences.
To be successful, projects will need to:
- Engage local communities and/or those who are not typical museum attendees, and think about social impact;
- Be developmental for the organisation or sector;
- Think about the project's legacy, even if this is hard to define at the start of the project.
A large number of collections activities are eligible for funding, including but not limited to: co-curation, engagement, research, digitisation, loans, conservation, and exhibition costs.
There are two application rounds per year. Each round has a two-stage application process.
Full details can be found on the Museums Association website
Return to news list