BAVO is the local county voluntary council for Bridgend County Borough.
We are an umbrella organisation set up to develop and promote voluntary and community action throughout the county borough. Our aim is to provide support, guidance, practical assistance and information to local voluntary sector groups to develop skills, services and activities, ensuring they are represented across a wide range of issues locally, regionally and nationally.
A free of charge membership organisation open to all voluntary and community groups based in Bridgend County Borough, we are part of a national support network funded by the Welsh Government and Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA).
BAVO’s head office is situated in Commercial Street in Maesteg. Opened in 2007, the building was made possible through substantial funding from the Welsh Government’s CFAP funding programme and the Big Lottery Fund, to whom we are very grateful.
BAVO has become the first county voluntary council in Wales to achieve the edition 4 PQASSO quality mark funded by the Big Lottery Fund. This prestigious award endorsed by the Charity Commission, signals that an organisation has been externally assessed and achieved a recognised level of quality for running an effective organisation.
Watch and listen to our short films to find out how we help our local community:
BAVO main information video (12 mins: 22 seconds)
BAVO's working with Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board
BAVO working with Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Helath Board
BAVO's work with The Food Shed
BAVO working with Llangynwyd Rangers Boys and Girls Football Club of Wales
BAVO's work with Men's Shed (Squirrel's Nest)
BAVO's work with Porthcawl Allotment Society
BAVO working with Y Bont
BAVO’s purpose is to support, encourage and promote the development of a voluntary and community sector in Bridgend County Borough, that is effective and efficient, informed and influential and makes a positive impact on people’s lives.
The work of BAVO is guided by a set of values that help to determine priorities and the overall style of working. We recognise that Bridgend County Borough is diverse and everyone has the right to equality of opportunity and to make a contribution to their community.
What we want to achieve:
- Stronger third sector organisations through providing support, advice and training and learning opportunities, skills development and capacity building;
- Active and diverse communities through supporting and promoting volunteering and active citizenship, equal opportunities and diversity;
- A confident and influential third sector, through advocating for the sectors’ inclusion in shaping policies, strategies, co-producing solutions to local issues and embedding the sector in local planning and commissioning processes;
- A greater voice for citizens and communities through enabling service users/carers, community groups and citizens to engage in local decision making processes that affect them and their lives;
- A sustainable third sector as a result of brokering strong partnerships, upskilling volunteers and staff, identifying coordinating and connecting opportunities for collaborative working within the third sector and across sectors.
Take a look at our recent Annual Impact Reports here >>>
- Are you a community group or charity, or do you want to start one?
- Are you a looking for funding?
- Do you need more volunteers?
- Do you want to meet like minded groups?
- Do you need help sorting a problem?
We offer FREE membership for local community, voluntary & not-for-profit groups! BAVO can help you with all of this and MORE!
We offer practical guidance on:
- Starting up and managing an organisation;
- Becoming a charity;
- Book keeping and evaluation;
- Funding information and fundraising support;
- Project planning and budgets;
- Volunteering support and recruitment;
- Practical resources;
- Human Resource / Employee Management support and information
- Development advice and support;
- Networking opportunities and partnerships.
We also offer intensive consultancy support at competitive rates to our members. This covers a range of areas such as organisational interim management, tendering support, citizen engagement, governance reviews, strategy development, budgetary and financial assistance, liaison with funders and auditors, tailored training, board support, due diligence exercises, mergers, trading arm set up and wind-down support to name but a few.
Visit our Volunteer Centre in Queen Street, Bridgend town centre!
Do you enjoy meeting new people? Are you looking for a change of direction? Have you thought about volunteering?
The Volunteer Centre is open 10am - 4pm, Monday - Friday.
Whatever your motivation, whatever your interests, you can pop in and have a coffee and chat with us. There is no obligation to sign up to anything, just lots of information on options for people to take away and think about.
The Volunteer Centre is situated at 2 Queen Street, Bridgend, CF31 1HX.
You can gain so much by volunteering:
- Meet new people and make new friends;
- Gain useful work experience;
- Learn new skills and use the ones you have already;
- Build confidence;
- Provide a real service to your community;
- Add to your CV;
- Do something you enjoy.
Read more here >>>
For further details T: 01656 660372 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your staff name badges designed and printed at BAVO!
We have recently purchased a name badge making machine. We can now create full colour staff identification badges for you organisation at a reasonable cost.
Correct staff name badges provide the crucial right impression, so contact BAVO as soon as possible!
For costs and further details, call BAVO, T: 01656 8104000 or E: email@example.com
Membership of BAVO is FREE OF CHARGE and open to all third scetor organisations including voluntary, community, faith groups and social enterprises. Members receive regular additional mailings and reduced charges for training courses, practical services, reduced cost room hire and one-to-one development support.
Read more >>
Rentable office space at BAVO offices in Maesteg:
Office space suitable for meetings, training, service delivery / outreach sessions is available, for further details,
T: 01656 810400 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Documentation retention service
A group's most important document is its constitution but with so many small organisations not having an office base, keeping this document safe, when committee members or Trustees come and go, can be a big problem.
BAVO we can safeguard your original, signed and dated constitution, keeping it on file in our main office in . We can also provide a scanned electronic copy for you so that you have a convenient copy when required. Members can either bring a disc in, or we can provide one at cost, either way you can feel confident the original is being kept safe.
If you would like to discuss this service further please contact us on 01656 810400 or email@example.com
BAVO staff team >>
Steve Curry - Valleys 2 Coast
Mark Davies (Chair) - Ogmore Valley Youth Partnership
Les Jones (Vice Chair) - Court House, Maesteg
Clive Owen - Cruse Bereavement Morgannwg
Mari Major, MBE. - Mayor of Bridgend County Borough’s Charity Fund
Cllr Charles Smith - Bridgend County Borough Council
Complaints policy and procedures
BAVO is committed to providing a high quality service to everyone that we deal with. In order to accomplish this, it is important that we listen and respond to the views of people who use our services. By responding promptly and positively learning from this feedback we learn from mistakes and continuously improve our services. We also hold periodic focus groups to support quality assurance. If you are interested in joining, please contact us.
Download BAVO's complaints policy and procedures >>>
Download our current BAVO general information leaflet >>