BAVO is the local county voluntary council for Bridgend County Borough.
We are an umbrella organisation set up to develop and promote voluntary and community action throughout the county borough. Our aim is to provide support, guidance, practical assistance and information to local voluntary sector groups to develop skills, services and activities, ensuring they are represented across a wide range of issues locally, regionally and nationally.
A free of charge membership organisation open to all voluntary and community groups based in Bridgend County Borough, we are part of a national support network funded by the Welsh Government and Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA).
BAVO’s head office is situated in Commercial Street in Maesteg. Opened in 2007, the building was made possible through substantial funding from the Welsh Government’s CFAP funding programme and the Big Lottery Fund, to whom we are very grateful.
BAVO has become the first county voluntary council in Wales to achieve the edition 4 PQASSO quality mark funded by the Big Lottery Fund. This prestigious award endorsed by the Charity Commission, signals that an organisation has been externally assessed and achieved a recognised level of quality for running an effective organisation.
BAVO’s purpose is to support, encourage and promote the development of a voluntary and community sector in Bridgend County Borough, that is effective and efficient, informed and influential and makes a positive impact on people’s lives.
The work of BAVO is guided by a set of values that help to determine priorities and the overall style of working. We recognise that Bridgend County Borough is diverse and everyone has the right to equality of opportunity and to make a contribution to their community.
BAVO believes that:
- Our services are to be as accessible as possible to all sectors of the community;
- Everyone should have the opportunity to collectively play an active part in their community;
- Everyone has the right to social justice and participate in decision-making processes and local action;
- Working with local groups whose participation in society is limited by economic, political or social disadvantage is a priority;
- Integrity, professionalism and quality are at the core of our work.
- Looking for information on voluntary services in Bridgend County Borough?
- A voluntary group seeking advice on available funding?
- Thinking of starting a new group and need help with how to begin?
- Have some spare time on your hands and would like to volunteer?
- A community or voluntary group wishing to recruit volunteers?
- Looking to expand your learning through informal training?
BAVO can help you with all of this and MORE!
We offer practical guidance on:
- Starting up and managing an organisation;
- Becoming a charity;
- Book keeping and evaluation;
- Funding information and fundraising support;
- Project planning and budgets;
- Volunteering support and recruitment;
- Practical resources;
- Human Resource / Employee Management support and information
- Development advice and support;
- Networking opportunities and partnerships.
We also offer intensive consultancy support at competitive rates to our members. This covers a range of areas such as organisational interim management, tendering support, citizen engagement, governance reviews, strategy development, budgetary and financial assistance, liaison with funders and auditors, tailored training, board support, due diligence exercises, mergers, trading arm set up and wind-down support to name but a few.
Visit our NEW Volunteer Centre in Queen Street, Bridgend town centre!
Do you enjoy meeting new people? Are you looking for a change of direction? Have you thought about volunteering?
The Volunteer Centre is open 10am - 4pm, Monday - Friday.
Whatever your motivation, whatever your interests, you can pop in and have a coffee and chat with us. There is no obligation to sign up to anything, just lots of information on options for people to take away and think about.
The Volunteer Centre is situated at 2 Queen Street, Bridgend, CF31 1HX.
You can gain so much by volunteering:
- Meet new people and make new friends;
- Gain useful work experience;
- Learn new skills and use the ones you have already;
- Build confidence;
- Provide a real service to your community;
- Add to your CV;
- Do something you enjoy.
Read more here >>>
For further details T: 01656 660372 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your staff name badges designed and printed at BAVO!
We have recently purchased a name badge making machine. We can now create full colour staff identification badges for you organisation at a reasonable cost.
Correct staff name badges provide the crucial right impression, so contact BAVO as soon as possible!
For costs and further details, call BAVO, T: 01656 8104000 or E: email@example.com
Key areas of work at BAVO include developing:
- Stronger voluntary and community organisations by providing support, advice and training services to develop learning opportunities, skills development and capacity building;
- Active and diverse communities through supporting and promoting volunteering and active citizenship, regeneration, equal opportunities and diversity;
- A stronger influence for the third sector, by campaigning for the third sector’s representative role as being an embedded and integral part of local planning through shaping policies, strategies and service design and delivery;
- A stronger voice for citizens and communities, by supporting and enabling service users/carers, community groups and citizens, to engage in local decision making processes that affect them and their communities;
- Sustainability through strong partnerships, by encouraging and co-ordinating opportunities for collaborative working within the third sector and identifying opportunities for collaboration across sectors.
Membership of BAVO is FREE OF CHARGE and open to all third scetor organisations including voluntary, community, faith groups and social enterprises. Members receive regular additional mailings and reduced charges for training courses, practical services, reduced cost room hire and one-to-one development support.
Read more >>
Rentable office space at BAVO offices in Maesteg:
Office space suitable for meetings, training, service delivery / outreach sessions is available, for further details,
T: 01656 810400 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Documentation retention service
A group's most important document is its constitution but with so many small organisations not having an office base, keeping this document safe, when committee members or Trustees come and go, can be a big problem.
BAVO we can safeguard your original, signed and dated constitution, keeping it on file in our main office in . We can also provide a scanned electronic copy for you so that you have a convenient copy when required. Members can either bring a disc in, or we can provide one at cost, either way you can feel confident the original is being kept safe.
If you would like to discuss this service further please contact us on 01656 810400 or email@example.com
BAVO staff team >>
Steve Curry - Valleys 2 Coast
Mark Davies (Chair) - Ogmore Valley Youth Partnership
Steve Driscoll - Yellow Wales
Les Jones (Vice Chair) - Court House, Maesteg
Clive Owen - Cruse Bereavement Morgannwg
Mari Major, MBE. - Mayor of Bridgend County Borough’s Charity Fund
Cllr Charles Smith - Bridgend County Borough Council
Complaints policy and procedures
BAVO is committed to providing a high quality service to everyone that we deal with. In order to accomplish this, it is important that we listen and respond to the views of people who use our services. By responding promptly and positively learning from this feedback we learn from mistakes and continuously improve our services. We also hold periodic focus groups to support quality assurance. If you are interested in joining, please contact us.
Download BAVO's complaints policy and procedures >>>
Contact us >>
Download our current BAVO general information leaflet >>